United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Office of the Administrator Washington, D.C., 20250

March 29, 1995

Ms. Debby Moore Kansas Environmentalists for Commerce in Hemp 2742 E. 2nd Wichita, KS, 67214

Dear Ms. Moore:

This is in response to your inquiry of February 5, to President Clinton regarding your desire to secure a license to cultivate Cannabis in the State of Kansas.

Your letter has been forwarded to the Department of Agriculture (USDA) for response. We apologize for not responding to your earlier request; however, we have no record that it was ever forwarded to this Agency for response.

The USDA discontinued research on hemp (Cannabis sativa) decades ago. As you probably know, marijuana is derived from C sativa, and we do not support efforts to promote its production. Because marijuana is a Schedule 1 controlled substance (21 CFR 1308.11 (d) (17)), Federal law requires persons who manufacture it to obtain an annual registration from the Attorney General (21 U.S.C. 822). This registration is issued in accordance with Federal regulations found in 21 CFR Part 1301. For additional information, you should contact the Registration Unit, Drug Enforcement Administration, Department of Justice, P.O. Box 28083, Central Station, Washington, D.C. 20005. For information about the legal aspects of hemp production, we suggestion you contact the Office of the National Drug Control Policy, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C., 20500.

We appreciate your interest in contacting us on this issue and hope that this information proves useful.


R.D. Plowman Administrator